Monday, 17 March 2014

Kindergarten Comparison

Having two kids provides ample opportunity to compare and contrast them.  I find it fascinating to see the many ways that they are so similar and the equally many ways in which they appear to be polar opposites.

One of the ways they are opposite is their interest in all things academic.  Little Miss finds learning fun and a challenge to overcome.  The Little Man finds learning, at least the more traditional subjects, to be something to actively avoid.

This difference has become rather glaring since September when the Little Man began kindergarten.  This year was the start of all day every day kindergarten in our school and, while I was grateful for the financial savings that came with no longer having any kidlets in full day daycare, I did wonder if the boy was ready.  Not only did he start school young, as he was 3 for almost the first two months, but he also seems to be a young 4.  I have to admit that if he had been born any later in the year, I would have considered keeping him out for another year and giving him just that much more time to grow.

However, we did decide enrol him and off he went to JK (junior kindergarten) far less prepared than his sister and far less interested than she had been.  Did you see what I did there?  I compared them. I don't want to compare them but she is my only frame of reference for school preparedness and hence the comparison.

Little Miss was determined to learn how to spell her name, to learn her numbers and letters and to begin to print before she headed off to school.  The Little Man had no interest whatsoever in learning his letters, numbers or how to print.  This complete disinterest came to head when during his first week the Little Man was unable to recognize his own name and found himself in tears because of this.

I don't know if this difference is due to the fact that Little Miss is the first born.  Is it the difference between a boy and a girl? Is it simply because Little Miss, for whatever the reason, is more mature?

I wondered if that would be the turning point, the point when he decided that this whole school learning thing was okay and something he might be interested in putting some effort into . . . or, apparently, not so much.

We are now 6 months into JK and the boy still seems to be less than interested in focusing on the whole school learning thing and while I am trying hard to compare the two kidlets, I am struggling and I am worried. I don't know if I should be worried and I don't want to push him too hard and make him hate learning. 

We are given books for him to "read" to us each night . . . and yet he fights it.   Almost every night is a struggle to even get him to look at the book with us, let alone make an effort to see if he knows any of the letters within the book. I don't know what to do to make this more interesting for him and I don't know if I should be doing anything more than we are.

Each and every night we read to the Little Man and he loves it. He loves to listen to stories of his favourite super heroes. He was determined to learn how to print out his own name and learn how to recognize it and now he does. He has learned how to play his Lego video games and is now quite adept at the whole hand eye co-ordination. 

For now I suspect I need to relax and just continue on the course we have been on.  Kindergarten is a two year program and he has already made some pretty significant steps.  He still has lots of time to find his focus and learn all these skills . . . right?

Jenn

1 comment:

  1. Huge hugs. It's so hard not to compare. But I'd guess you're all doing just fine. It sounds like he is a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!