Sunday, 4 December 2011

Weekend Update

Holy hell, is it seriously only the first weekend of December because I am already exhausted. 

So back in the day, you know before kids, I used to be a bit of a gym rat.  I loved it.  In fact, I was there so much that one of the instructors decided that I should just learn how to instruct a class on my own . . . and so she left me a note to do just that one day.  Seriously, I showed up to take the class and she left a note saying that she wasn't going to make it in but I could teach it for her. 

After that first time I was hooked.  I loved knowing that I was helping people to reach their goals, to lead a healthier lifestyle and hell, I was at the gym enough it was nice to actually get paid to be there.

I instructed right up until 2 weeks before I had Little Miss.  I had planned to go a bit longer but I was sidelined but a horrible chest infection.  I got back to the gym 8 weeks after I had her and for the first couple of months it was great.  Looking back now I can see how my sinking into PPD robbed me of my love of the gym.  It left me feeling anxious and overwhelmed and eventually lead me to giving it all up. 

Saturday I dipped my toe back into it and I loved it once again.  I, along with one of my kickboxing peeps . . . yeah, even in writing I really think I should like a dork saying peeps . . . oh well . . . covered the morning classes.  I admit to feeling a wee bit nervous but once I got back in front of the admittedly small group I felt at home again. 

I admit I have never really looked like what one expects from a fitness instructor and I certainly don't look like that at the moment but I know what I am doing. 

Anyhoo, we also held our annual Christmas party this weekend as well.  It is absolute chaos and we love it. 

So this morning we had our family photos taken.  Okay I admit that was probably not the greatest planning on my part given that the kids were up late last night but . . .  they did great and I am hoping to have some photos of myself that I can deal with . . . as I hate having my photo taken.

At this point the kids are done.  The little guy went down for his nap at 12:30, woke up at 2:30 and then promptly fell back asleep on the floor in the living room beside the couch where is his sister fell asleep.  It could be a later bedtime tonight but I would say that this quiet slow afternoon was necessary.

Well, now I must drag my tired butt up off this rather comfy couch and get to cleaning up after our little shindig . . . or maybe I will just close my eyes and enjoy a little extra sleep myself.


Jenn

4 comments:

  1. I hope your eyes are closed right now! Glad you got in a post and linked it up. And good for you for teaching a fitness class. I think that's super brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I envy your gym dedication and exercise enthusiasm - I loathe it but know its a necessary evil. I am not a natural born athlete...

    Glad you enjoyed your weekend and hope you chose sleep over silly housework :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great that you enjoyed teaching. Glad you got back in the sadle.
    We had out family pictures taken this morning too! I can't wait to see them.
    Will you be posting some of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have an in-home gym. I loved it. I've never been one to go to a gym, so I bought my own equipment. I sold that equipment when I started smoking. Funny how that worked.

    Now, I'm a non-smoker again and would live to have my old gym equipment back.

    I wish you much success in the gym!

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!